7 UP Pound Cake is one of those Southern recipes that I know by heart. It has been in my family for years and has been in my baking arsenal since I was a teenager. While it has always been my mom’s absolute favorite cake, it is now my husband’s new favorite (he deemed it the best pound cake he has ever eaten). It really is “that” fabulous. If you need a guaranteed baking winner, this 7 up pound cake is it. Commit it to memory like me! You never know when you might need to pull this puppy out for last minute entertaining.
- 3 sticks of butter
- 3 cups of granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups of sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup of 7 up or any lemon lime soda
- 2 tablespoons of lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 315°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Combine butter and sugar in electric mixer bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add flour in increments to mixture but be careful not to overbeat at this point.
- Add in 7 UP and lemon extract and mix until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared bundt pan, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from bundt pan to cake or serving plates.
- Either dust lightly with confectioner's sugar or make a quick glaze by stirring together some 7 UP, confectioner's sugar and lemon juice until its pourable.
- Spoon over the cake and wait until it hardens to serve. Enjoy!