Brown Butter Honey Cornbread is here Honey Child! Cornbread has been a staple in my household for as long as I can remember. With a corporate working mom, I grew up on Jiffy being the quick bread of choice for weeknight dinners. I would enjoy a homemade batch whenever we visited my big mama in Mississippi or whenever my auntie was making cornbread dressing. Whether your preference is Southern style cornbread (savory with no sugar added, thank you very much) or Northern style (a nice sweet cake like kick is mighty fine indeed), there is no denying that cornbread is quite the comfort food.
I set out to create a brown butter honey recipe that would kick the traditional kind up a notch. I started with adding brown butter to the mix, which is a big fixation for me nowadays if you haven’t quite noticed yet. It just adds so much depth of flavor! Then I threw in some honey to sweeten the deal. By creating a more cake-like texture with the addition of flour, this brown butter cornbread with honey had me singing with delight after adding a pat of butter. I loved how it melted down the sides as I took a nice warm slice from my cast iron skillet to partake in.
This winter, try making a skillet of this to pair with your chili or crockpot stew. I hope to serve it to my big mama and do her proud.
Brown Butter Honey Child Cornbread
- Brown Butter Honey Child Cornbread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used coconut milk with a teaspoon of lemon juice to sour it)
- 1/2-1/3 cup honey (This comes down to preference- add less or more depending on how sweet you like your cornbread!)
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saute' pan, melt butter over medium heat and wait until butter begins to brown. Be careful not to burn. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder and sugar until well mixed. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together buttermilk, honey, cooled browned butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix together until well combined.
- Coat cast iron skillet with shortening until fully covered. Place cast iron skillet in preheated oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove cast iron skillet from oven and add cornbread mixture to skillet. Place back in oven for 22-25 minutes until cornbread is done. Remove from oven and serve. Happy Baking!