It’s almost Easter, and there is nothing more quintessential to serve for Easter dinner than carrot cake (well lamb is in the running too I suppose) which is why I wanted to spice things up with these mango carrot cake swirl bars.
Carrot cake is a true classic. While I don’t eat it that often, I knew I wanted to attempt some version of it to share with all of you. Something simple that’s packed with unexpected flavor was my motivation when creating these Mango Carrot Cake Swirl Bars.
I decided to mix in Chobani’s mango flavored greek yogurt, which really helped to lighten and liven these bars up. The additional mango flavor is a perfect yet unexpected complement to carrot cake. I love the tiny juicy mango nuggets from the yogurt that surprise your taste buds in each bar.
These mango carrot cake swirl bars are also so fun to make. It would be a fun project to try with the kids for Easter. In fact, I made a quick Vine video showing some of the steps, which you can check out here. I also love how perfect this recipe shows the use of a spring veggie like carrots, also perfect for me to share with Yahoo! Shine’s Supper Club.
- 12 ounces of pureed carrots
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup mango Chobani greek yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 lightly beaten large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces ⅓ fat free cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons mango puree
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the bars, In one large bowl, add pureed carrots, granulated sugar, greek yogurt, oil, beaten eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- For the swirl cream cheese topping, In a medium sized bowl, blend cream cheese and granulated sugar with a hand mixer until nice and smooth.
- Add in one egg, vanilla extract and mango puree and mix until well incorporated.
- To prepare the bars , Pour ¾ of carrotbatter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Next spread the cream cheese topping on top of the carrot batter until no carrot batter is showing. Spoon remaining carrot batter in random areas over the cream cheese topping.
- Take a butter knife and swirl the top of the batters to create a pretty swirl pattern.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes then serve.