I hate the feeling of depriving myself so as I prepare to wear my cute tiny dresses and swimsuit this summer, I need to still feel like myself. So I have started playing around with new recipes that are a bit lighter. This healthy lemon loaf cake is one of them but it is so delish you won’t even know its light.
So I guess in addition to creating some healthier recipes for desserts, I also need to practice so level of self control.
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or 1 cup of honey or maple syrup)
- 3 whole large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoon milk or fresh lemon juice for more lemon flavor
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, granulated sugar, lightly beaten eggs, greek yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture while whisking together until well combined.
- Add lemon cake batter to a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and bake in oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean (mine baked in about 52 minutes).
- Let cool for 10 minutes then remove from the loaf pan to finish cooling.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, whisk together confectioner's sugar and milk or lemon juice and pour over the cake.
- Let the icing set and then enjoy!