My individual strawberry crumbles are here to brighten my mood. I’m have been annoyed with the spring weather lately in Chicago. Day after day, I am confronted with consistent 40 degree weather in late April followed by one random day of 70 degree weather, and I’m a little frustrated. On one hand, I want to use fresh spring berries and start on some sorbets and other frozen recipes to ready me for summer. On the other hand, I am constantly still putting on a heavier jacket and drinking hot tea to stay warm. I needed to find a recipe to go well with my “in between” Winter/Spring confusion.
This is where my individual strawberry crumbles enter. My husband just loves crumbles so I knew there would be absolutely no leftovers lingering in the kitchen ready to tempt me away from my healthy eating kick.
I threw this recipe together off my instincts, and it turned out perfectly. This recipe is the best of both worlds for my “in between” winter/spring weather issues. It was warming and comforting like a winter dessert but it was bright and filled with gorgeous spring strawberries. This individual strawberry crumbles recipe got me so excited for the wonderful weather I am sure (definitely praying) is coming soon!
- 2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or lemon juice
- ¼- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (check sweetness of strawberries to determine best amount)
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup melted salted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the strawberry mixture, toss together strawberries, orange or lemon juice, granulated sugar, salt, vanilla extract and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- While strawberries sit and thicken, assemble the crumble. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and flour to a small to medium sized bowl.
- Whisk ingredients together.
- Slowly add in melted butter and stir in to combine until crumbs develop.
- Add strawberry mixture to ramekins (I used 2 ounce sized ramekins).
- Spoon crumbs over the tops of the strawberries.
- Bake crumbles for 30 minutes. You can serve your crumbles warm or cold but my favorite way is warm with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!