I adore cinnamon rolls. Seriously who doesn’t? As I type this, I am imagining one now with its soft chewy dough filled with a buttery cinnamon swirl and topped with that pillow of glaze that takes this gooey treat over the top. Sounds great right? (Sorry if you are now craving cinnamon rolls but at least I have this cinnamon roll pound cake now).
I also adore pound cake (you may also already know this since I have a bunch of pound cake recipes on my blog). I grew up on this dessert more than anything else so I knew cinnamon rolls and pound cake would make a great pair. But a cinnamon roll pound cake was even more perfect to share with Yahoo! Shine’s Favorite Childhood Recipes.
To make the cinnamon roll pound cake, I added a lovely buttery cinnamon swirl to one of my fave basic pound cake recipes and topped it with that addictive cream cheese glaze cinnamon rolls are known for.
Yep this recipe definitely made me proud. It is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even after dinner. And its perfect for a work snack. I am rationalizing as I eat another slice and finish this post.
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons shortening or oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup milk or more if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine butter, shortening (or oil) and sugar and beat on medium high until light and fluffy which takes about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half of sour cream to mixer and combine.
- Next add baking powder and salt to cake flour and pour half of flour mixture into cake batter and beat until incorporated.
- Again, repeat steps and add the remaining sour cream to batter followed by the rest of the cake flour and baking powder mixture.
- Lastly, add vanilla extract and mix until well combined but don't over mix.
- For the Swirl, In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, vanilla extract, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and flour until well mixed.
- Spray one bundt pan with baking spray.
- Pour 1/4 of cake batter into bundt pan.
- Next drizzle some of the swirl mixture over batter and use a knife to create a swirl pattern.
- Repeat these steps, with first the cake batter then the swirl until all the cake batter is transferred to the bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in bundt pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool.
- For the Glaze, In a mixer bowl, beat together cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth and pourable.
- Pour the glaze over the pound cake and serve.