Football season is here! This really means my husband, dad, brother, and uncles will go missing for the next few months. I have never been the biggest football fan but I must say I am coming around a bit, and rooting for the Chicago Bears. The tailgating and super bowl parties are what really grab my attention.
I took a trip to Mariano’s to check out some of their tailgating food options, and of course, I was never disappointed. From the amazing grilling options (the kabobs, burgers and sausages all made their way into my cart!) to the great snack food that always makes an appearance at a tailgating party, I felt more than prepared (more like armed) to try some fun football friendly recipes at home!
Braced with my Mariano’s reward card, I got great deals and was on my way! For those of you who would like to learn more about #MyMarianos and all of the amazing tailgating options they have, not to mention their incredible community of fresh ideas, follow them on facebook or on twitter. And you simply must check out this fun video of a singing flash mob at Mariano’s!
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons healthy butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make popcorn, add popcorn kernels to a large brown paper bag and fold over the top twice to properly seal the bag.
- Microwave the bag for 2 minutes or until the popping starts to totally slow down to a few seconds in between pops.
- To make caramel, add earth balance and olive oil to small pot and melt together over medium heat. Next, whisk in the brown sugar until it completely dissolves and begins to slightly bubble.
- Add apple cider and cornstarch and continue whisking.
- As it thickens, remove from heat and add vanilla extract and cinnamon and set aside.
- Pour caramel over cooked popcorn and toss together to make sure all popcorn is covered.
- Let coating set and serve.