Muffins are a favorite of mine though I rarely make them. In fact, let me tell you a little story about why I adore muffins, especially chocolate muffins. I went to Catholic schools all of my life. From the uniforms to the mid-day masses, I was truly a product of that system. In grade school, my friends and I had a cool after school ritual. The ones of us who could not be picked up right after school because our parents were working 9 to 5s would walk to a local cafe called Fresh Starts where they served??? Yep you guessed it, muffins.
These light white chocolate chocolate muffins were the best muffins ever. They were plump, light, filled with flavor and my very best friend after a long day of fractions and science fair projects. I went back and forth between ordering the blueberry muffin, which was epic, and the deep and rich chocolate muffin. I always asked if my waiter could warm it up a little so I could slather on my butter, and he always did. That’s called customer service people! I would sit with my friends and eat heavenly muffins then head to the library to study.
I have always wanted to duplicate that feeling I received from those chocolate muffins. The decadence, the richness and the pure comfort always made them seem like the perfect snack. These get pretty close my friends and the best part is they are lighter with hardly any fat. I also added in a bonus of white chocolate chips to jazz them up a bit! So take a snowy day and make these. Eat them warm with a tiny slather of earth balance or a lighter butter and sink into them remembering how much your hips will thank you later.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plan greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup low fat or vegan milk (I used coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add both flours, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl and whisk together to blend.
- Next add in greek yogurt, olive oil, milk, vanilla extract and half of the white chocolate chips and whisk together until mixture is well combined.
- Using a retractable ice cream scooper, scoop batter into muffin/cupcake liners in a muffin pan and top with remaining white chocolate chips and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove muffins and cool for 10 minutes and serve. I really enjoyed these slightly warm.