The BEST Mexican Cornbread Recipe on the web! So moist and delicious filled with corn, spice, a hint of sweet and so much flavor!
I love cornbread. I think we get that by now. I believe in having several different cornbread recipes for different occasions too. This Mexican cornbread recipe is my style and perfect for a hot bowl of chili or for you to bring to your tailgating parties.
What makes this Mexican cornbread recipe so darn special you may ask? Well first of all, it is perfectly moist like all of my cornbread recipes. It melts in your mouth. Who wants hard cornbread that crumbles to dust as soon as you pick it up? Not I that’s for sure.
The next thing is the abundance of flavors. I use two types of cheese in my Mexican cornbread while most only use one. I think the mix of cheddar AND pepper jack lends a unique blend of goodness. I love both cheeses equally and especially when paired together (try them in your quesadillas!).
The creamed corn really moves this past your wildest dreams. Each bite of this cornbread gives you a nice creamy bite of corn that really creates this perfect texture. And if you love a little bit more spice, definitely add in the peppers. My husband can’t take things too spicy so I usually just rely on the pepper jack cheese for a mild kick. But if you are like me and love spicy foods, add the peppers. So if you are looking for a new bread recipe to try, give this one a go! You won’t be sorry.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- OPTIONAL: 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- ½ stick salted butter melted
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar, cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese until well mixed.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, cream-style corn, diced green chiles if using, and melted butter.
- Slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix together until well combined.
- Coat cast iron skillet or baking pan with shortening or spray with non-stick baking spray until fully covered. Add cornbread mixture to skillet. Optional: Sprinkle additional shredded cheeses on top of cornbread batter.
- Place in oven for 23-26 minutes until cornbread is done. Remove from oven and serve.