A Homemade and Classic Buttermilk Waffles Recipe that will put all others to shame. This recipe has a beautiful crunchy golden brown exterior and beautiful tender and flavorful texture inside. Breakfast will never be the same.
This old fashioned buttermilk waffles recipe are one of the best breakfast meals around. While I tend to wax poetically over pancakes a lot on my blog, I truly do have a love for waffles, especially these. I truly think this is the best buttermilk waffles recipe on the web.
My love for buttermilk waffles didn’t begin during my childhood however. Those breakfasts were mostly bacon, scrambled eggs, grits and toast based. When I got to college, my three best friends and I would frequent a diner for dinner that served breakfast 24 hours a day. It was our late night spot filled with glass displays of classic layer cakes and pies.
At this diner, we would chat about classes (fun fact: we were all film majors) and eat breakfast pancakes and buttermilk waffles at 11 pm, 12 midnight and sometimes later. Some of my favorite memories from college were at this diner. Talking about life, love, goals, classes, crazy professors and the future with your best gal pals never gets old, even now. After being out of college for over 10 years now, I realize how important those moments were to the shaping of me. Even now I can’t wait to go to brunch with my girlfriends to catch up.
I am so grateful for those times and the memories that accompany them. This buttermilk waffles recipe is an ode to my college gals who passed the syrup during the late nights ten years ago while making me laugh at the same time. They are perfectly crispy and golden brown on the outside and beautifully tender and doughy on the inside. Plus don’t forget that amazing buttermilk flavor throughout! If you love buttermilk waffles, these are the ones for you.
And if you are craving more breakfast favorites, try my Eggy Eggnog French Toast HERE
Or make these Perfect Pancakes HERE
Or try my Vanilla Dutch Baby HERE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In one large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and ground cinnamon.
- Next whisk in egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Beat remaining egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold stiff egg whites into batter.
- Heat waffle maker, spray maker with non-stick spray and prepare waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve warm and enjoy.