I’ve got quite the classic recipe for you today on Style Me Pretty Living: Pineapple Upside Down Cake. There aren’t many things more traditional and lovely than a pineapple upside down cake. My recipe is an old one, but a wonderful one. The moist sponge cake topped by brown sugar sweetened pineapple rings is perfection.
This recipe was in one of my Big Mama’s old handwritten recipe notebooks so I knew it would be amazing, and indeed it was.
I have tried making pineapple upside down cake in some very inventive ways but sometimes a classic is really all you need.
If you are ready to try it out, check out my post HERE: http://www.stylemepretty.com/living/2014/05/21/pineapple-upside-down-cake-2/
or check out the recipe below! And if you want more Pineapple Upside Down Cake inspiration check out these Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Or these individual Pineapple Upside Down Hummingbird Cakes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 6-7 pineapple rings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, eggs and pineapple juice until well mixed. Set aside.
- Next melt butter to a 9 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, whisk in brown sugar and cook for 1 minute.
- Line the bottom of the butter and sugar mixture with 6 to 7 pineapple rings and saute over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter on top of the pineapples.
- Bake cake for 28-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes then invert the cake onto a serving plate and serve.