Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe: This is not only simple and classic, but absolutely delicious. The crunch golden batter is the perfect compliment.
When I saw these at the grocery store…
There was only one thing I could make to do them justice: Southern Fried Green Tomatoes.
This Southern recipe is simple and so delicious. This Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe really lets the green tomato flavor shine through but marries the tomatoes with a fantastic golden breading that crunches every single time you take a bite.
It all starts with perfect and juicy green tomatoes. I easily found these at my specialty grocery store but there are also some amazing ones at farmers markets as well right now. If you see them, don’t resist! Pick up a few and load them into the cart.
The breading is just the compliment. With a little egg wash and a mixture of yellow cornmeal and panko crumbs, these fried green tomatoes are magical. I add a tiny bit of paprika to my breading as well just to spice it up a bit but that is totally up to you.
So what are you waiting for, hurry out and get some green tomatoes! No procrastination necessary when this Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe is waiting on you.
- 3 fresh green tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional- go up to ¼ teaspoon if you like spicy foods)
- oil for frying
- Liberally season green tomato slices with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add flour and eggs to two separate small bowls.
- Combine cornmeal, panko crumbs and paprika into another small bowl and whisk together.
- Begin by dipping each seasoned tomato slice into flour coating on both sides.
- Next add floured tomato slice to eggs coating on both sides.
- Lastly dip into cornmeal and crumb mixture and set aside finished slice on baking sheet.
- Repeat dredging process, starting with flour, until all slices are coated.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Fry tomato slices on both sides until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.