Homemade Classic Blueberry Waffles done right! Get ready for breakfast perfection!
I have come a long way to make something like blueberry waffles on my blog. I was a strange picky eating child. I didn’t eat condiments (still don’t), ate everything plain, and hated adding fruit to any of my meals. I loved pancakes and waffles but hated seeing blueberries or any other fruit in the batter. It just didn’t make sense to me. I am still wondering how I came to be in a family that eats everything and puts everything IN everything.
As I got older, I experimented a bit more here and there. I finally embraced having just a few blueberries in my pancakes but trust me when I say that took a lot of time and prayer. Seeing gorgeous blueberries at my farmer’s market this week gave me the courage to pick some up and try them in my waffles which was new for me. In fact, even saying I made blueberry waffles is crazy!
These blueberry waffles were already delicious but the blueberries definitely added a great touch to them. I added a bit of vanilla bean paste to them as well, and simply could not get enough of them.
Slathering these blueberry waffles in my mainstay of butter and pure maple syrup made them even better. I will be trying these for breakfast time and time again. I could definitely get used to this whole fruit in pancakes and waffles thing, especially if they end up tasting like this.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1½ cup blueberries
- In one large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and ground cinnamon.
- Next whisk in egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla bean paste.
- Beat remaining egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold stiff egg whites into batter then fold in blueberries.
- Heat waffle maker, spray maker with non-stick spray and prepare waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve warm and enjoy.