I feel the brisk breeze in the air now which for me means pulling out this easy potato soup recipe. Chicago is notorious for crazy weather. It may still be summer where you are but I am pretty sure Chicago has called Fall into the atmosphere.
The funny thing about Chicago weather is it never behaves like you expect it to. For instance, June doesn’t mean consistent warm weather like it may mean in most cities. In fact, it means the opposite. It can drift from a 80 degree day to a 50 degree day requiring a warm jacket and a light cardigan. It snowed through April this year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if snow showed up in October.
This easy potato soup is perfect for throwing together on one of those days where the weather is finnicky. It is creamy and simply delicious. I love curling up on the couch with a big hot bowl. I feel right at home with it.
Another amazing thing about this soup is that you can make it vegan. I added a few instructions in the recipe below if you would like to cut the dairy. I actually make my potato soup with coconut milk, and I have never tasted a difference. It is as delicious as the original. So curl up, grab a bowl of this soup and feel right at home, regardless of what temperature it is outside.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 slabs bacon, diced (omit if making vegan)
- 3 cups diced onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock or water if making vegan)
- 3 cups milk (use coconut milk if making vegan)
- 6 cups diced red potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: garnish with shredded cheese, bacon bits and diced green onions
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add bacon and cook until browned.
- Then add onions and celery and saute until soft and transparent.
- Add flour little by little into the pan and cook down and thicken.
- Slowly add in stock and milk then potatoes.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and cook until potatoes soften.
- Using a masher, mash ⅓ of the potatoes to thicken the soup then salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon bits and green onions. Serve.