My mom makes a mean pot of chili. I grew up craving it as the weather got colder. It was one of the only things that released the “chill” in my bones. This fajita chili is a twist on that classic recipe my mom used to make.
Fajitas are one of my fave Mexican foods. About a year ago, I started mixing the flavors of the fajitas with my chili, which is a variation of my mom’s, and loved the results. It is like the best of both worlds, which is great for someone like me who is generally indecisive when it comes to what I want for dinner. I end up having both fajitas and chili when I make this!
I start by browning sliced green and red peppers and onions in a pan with pieces of chicken breast and minced garlic. Once everything is cooked, I add in my favorite chili ingredients like kidney beans and diced tomatoes and chili seasoning. The combination of flavors that emerges is insane!!
This chili is hearty, thick, comforting and downright delicious! It has a nice spice to it from the chili seasoning but also the fajita flavor is there strong and in charge. This would be great at your next game day party and get together too. Who doesn’t love chili during football season? At the end of the day, I adore this chili! And soon you will too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced green and red bell peppers
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, sliced into wedges
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15.5 ounces) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Garnish with shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, diced green onions and sour cream
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add diced onions, peppers and chicken, salt and pepper, and cook until chicken is cooked through and peppers and onions are softened.
- Next, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and kidney beans then stir in fajita and chili seasonings.
- Lower the heat to medium low and slowly cook occasionally stirring chili until everything thickens (about 10-15 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste. Cool for 10 minutes to allow everything to further thicken and allow flavors to deepen.
- Garnish and serve.