A delicious Peppermint French Silk Pie that belongs on your holiday table!
For some odd reason, when I hit 30 a few years ago chocolate became a weekly essential to ensure manners and overall politeness. I am 90% positive and sweet in social situations and chocolate makes up the other 10% when necessary. During Christmas time, my happiness percentage is at about 95% but I still need my chocolate to make up the 5% difference.
A slice of this Peppermint French Silk Pie on BHG’s Delish Dish each day last week definitely put a smile on my face and kind words in my mouth. Seriously, I had a slice of this pie and went to the over crowded mall with a wide grin singing Christmas carols in the incredibly long lines. I didn’t lose my patience once, even after TWO 30 minute standing waits. I was very understanding providing Christmas cheer to everyone around me, just like the good girl I was raised to be.
The magic of this pie is not just in the chocolate. It has a flaky and buttery crust, a smooth chocolate mousse filling spiked with peppermint extract and a lovely topping of fresh whipped cream garnished with crushed peppermint.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter, cut up, or shortening
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons creme de cacao or whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Garnish: Whipped cream and peppermint pieces
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
- Trim pastry to ½ inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes; remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy saucepan combine whipping cream, semisweet chocolate pieces, sugar, and butter. Cook and stir over low heat about 10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and begins to bubble. Remove from heat. (Mixture might appear slightly curdled.) Stir in creme de cacao or whipping cream and peppermint extract.
- Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water and let stand about 20 minutes or until mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread chocolate mixture in pastry shell. Cover and chill for 5 to 24 hours. To serve, top with whipped cream.