Need a delicious and easy meal for tonight? There’s nothing like a roasted chicken! Try my absolutely sensational Lemon Roast Chicken and Potatoes for a sophisticated weeknight or weekend dinner.
Comfort food is a language. I consider myself fluent in its art. That’s because I grew up in a family where its language was considered as important as English. A dinner filled with warmth and love speaks volumes, even when healthy.
Flavor and emotion is what has always determined comfort food to me. What makes this Lemon Roast Chicken and Potatoes so special is that it is a meal I make time and time again for my husband and I. Who doesn’t love a roasted chicken recipe especially when its a lemon chicken recipe? We devour it as we catch up with each other on how our days went. It tastes divine with hardly a lick of fat (just 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil). You could even add additional flavors and make this a rosemary chicken or a lemon garlic chicken or just a lemon herb roasted chicken.
The chicken pieces are insanely juicy and moist, and the drippings of flavor soak into the caramelized potatoes and onions on the bottom of the pan. Everything is liberally seasoned with salt and pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder and a bit of paprika. Lastly, I squeeze lemon juice over the entire dish and threw the used lemons into the pan. Once baked, the entire dish is just insatiable. I guess you could call this a Garlic Lemon Chicken too! It is just filled with amazing flavor.
I have served this Lemon Roast Chicken dish using a whole chicken for company and for a mid-weeknight dinner using pieces. The results are the same, and the feedback is the same. The comfort and love is always felt. And if you are looking for another roast chicken, try my Orange Honey Roast Chicken recipe. And if you are looking for something special to serve this with, try my easy homemade garlic bread recipe.
Some of the products I used for this recipe are:
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper and lemon pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound chicken pieces
- 2 small lemons, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add potato slices and onions to the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and lemon pepper to taste.
- Season with half of garlic powder and paprika.
- Season both sides of chicken pieces with salt, pepper and lemon pepper.
- Place chicken facing up on top of potatoes and onions.
- Season with remaining garlic powder and paprika.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice then add lemon slices to pan.
- Cover dutch oven and bake for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes and onions are tender and caramelized. If you want to brown the top of the dish further and add more color, place under a broiler for a few minutes until it reaches the color you prefer.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes and serve.