The easiest and most delicious Butternut Squash Broccoli Mac and Cheese made even easier starting with a box of macaroni! So good and almost gourmet!
Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. During winter, I find myself craving a big bowl of its hearty warm deliciousness that soothes the soul unlike any other dish. For years, I have only made my mother’s traditional baked version that is served on special occasions from Sunday suppers to holiday dinners. However, I have often longed for this comfort during the week for no other reason than to satisfy my craving. That’s where this Butternut Squash Broccoli Mac and Cheese Recipe using Horizon Organic Macaroni and Mild Cheddar Cheese comes in.
I, like most of you, find myself running out of time to make delicious meals that are also convenient, quick and easy during the week. I sometimes dread the inevitable question of “What’s for Dinner?” because I honestly don’t know. My biggest issue is blending together what I am craving with something that meets my time limits. This Butternut Squash Broccoli Mac and Cheese recipe solves that problem brilliantly, might I add. With one box of Horizon Organics Mac and Cheese, I added a few additions that really punched up the flavor and created a gourmet meal in a knick of time.
The first thing I added was butternut squash puree. I simply boiled 1 cup of chopped squash for 15 minutes until tender and threw it in a food processor to grind it down. I multitasked by boiling my pasta in one pot while my other pot of butternut squash was cooking. The nutty sweet flavor of the squash was the perfect richness needed for my classic mac and cheese with a gourmet twist. Next I added some broccoli to throw vegetables in the mix. No need for sides with this dish. It has everything you need and want right in one pot.
Lastly, I toasted some panko crumbs and sprinkled them on top of the finished dish with a bit of paprika for spice. I was amazed by how delicious this easy meal came together. The results speak for themselves.
Now you can have a tasty comfort food anytime during the week in an easy package especially if you pair it with my delicious garlic bread recipe! If you want to have fun creating new and exciting recipes using Horizon Organic mac and cheese, check out the MAC-N-ATOR! And for other recipes, visit this pinterest board.
- 1 (6 ounce) Horizon Organic Macaroni and Mild Cheddar Cheese box
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups chopped broccoli
- ½ cup panko crumbs, toasted
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Begin preparing Horizon Organic Macaroni and Cheese according to the box instructions by boiling water to cook pasta.
- While water boils, boil water in a separate pot and add chopped butternut squash. Boil for 12-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Add tender squash to food processor or blender and grind until puree forms. Set aside.
- Once pasta is done boiling, drain pasta and add back into original pasta pot.
- Add milk, butter and cheese sauce from box then stir in squash puree, salt and pepper to taste, and broccoli and cook on low heat until broccoli is warmed through.
- Lastly, sprinkle top of mac and cheese with toasted panko crumbs and paprika and serve.