Tomato Tarts: Deliciously simple and complete with caramelized onions and cheese are perfect for entertaining.
The Oscars are this Sunday, and it’s about to get real in my house (hence these Oscar Tomato Tarts). My husband and I take the Academy Awards very seriously. It isn’t a game. What do you expect from two movie buffs that majored in film (me) and broadcast journalism (him)?
A typical scene in my house on Oscar Sunday includes several hours of research along with final predictions of the winners that evening before the red carpet sightings begin. Whoever wins the prediction game gets bragging rights for the entire year. By Sunday, we will have seen all of the nominees in the Best Picture, Director, Writing and Acting categories per usual. Told ya its serious.
Because we believe the Oscars are like a major holiday each year, we believe the food has to match the importance of the date. That’s where these tomato tarts come in. These are just incredibly delicious but what can you expect when you add caramelized onions, pepper jack cheese and tomatoes to an Safest Choice egg wash brushed puff pastry tartlet? I find the union of an egg and puff pastry magical. The egg adds a gorgeous shine and golden browning that the pastry can’t achieve on its on. It is a must for me anytime I work with puff pastry.
These Oscar Tomato Tarts are my new best friend. I plan on introducing this recipe at all of my upcoming dinner parties and entertaining events because of its ease and downright addictiveness. If you are planning an Oscar party this weekend, make sure you serve these. I know that regardless of who wins the prediction game on Sunday, the hubby and I will both be winners because we have these to enjoy.
So what about you? Will you be watching the Oscars this Sunday? P.S. I predict Boyhood (which I’ve seen) to win Best Picture.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed according to package instructions)
- 1 large Safest Choice egg, plus 1 teaspoon water beaten
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pepperjack cheese, shredded
- fresh parsley and herbs
- Melt butter and olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions to pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, continuing to stir, until tender and golden brown (this process takes a while- up to 20 minutes) then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut circles of dough out of puff pastry and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash on each pastry circle then top each with a tomato slice in the direct center.
- Next add caramelized onions on top of each tomato slice and sprinkle shredded cheese and fresh parsley and herbs on top.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until tarts are puffy and golden brown and cheese has turned golden and melty. Cool for a few minutes then serve.