This decadent bananas foster bread pudding is sure to be a favorite. French bread gets baked into submission when submerged in sweet custard and drenched in a lovely caramel and banana laden sauce.
The only thing healthy about this recipe is the addition of bananas, I will start there. Unfortunately this is not a recipe to try if a shrinking waistline is on your wish list. This is pure decadence in the form of custard baked bread and sugar laden caramel. Truly it is all your heart’s desires in one single bite. A delightfully high-on-life sugar rush is likely to ensue after completion, and that sounds heavenly to me.
This bananas fosters bread pudding recipe was necessary this week. I wanted to make something that could tame my wildest of cravings; something so rich and delicious that I would think about it for weeks, and this was the Godsend that rose to the top of the mountain. I made it to celebrate the return to my life in some ways.
First it’s my daddy’s birthday, and he LOVES bananas. Then last week, I turned in my final cookbook edits and stood completely depleted of everything: energy, creativity, goals, emotions, just plain everything. It was all sucked out of me, and I needed the dessert equivalent of a Gatorade. I required something that would reignite my recipe development passion and writing, that would stick to my ribs with its gooey notes of sweetness and would inspire me to see the fantastic road of possibility ahead. This became that.
I realize that bananas foster bread pudding may not do all of those heroic things for most people but it did help do it for me. Dessert is my first love. Creating it makes me feel whole. Eating it makes me feel deserving. And sharing it makes me feel selfless. This gave me just the boost I needed, and I’m ready to get back in the race.
- 2 eggs and 1 yolk
- 1¼ cup coconut milk (or any milk you prefer
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3½ cups stale french bread, broken into small pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 banana, cut in slices
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs and yolk, milk, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Fill 2-3 large ramekins with bread pieces then pour egg liquid over the tops of bread soaking each ramekin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until bread pudding is set.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter then whisk in both sugars, corn syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- Continue cooking until it begins to bubble then whisk in heavy cream. Continue to cook over medium heat and allow it to begin to thicken.
- Stir in banana slices and continue to cook until a thick sauce has developed and coats the back of a spoon. Turn off heat and stir in vanilla and rum extracts then pour sauce over each bread pudding and serve warm.