Classic pineapple upside down cake gets a fun breakfast twist in these pineapple upside down pancakes recipe using Safest Choice Eggs.
This pineapple upside down pancakes recipe starts where all my pancake recipes start. I have mentioned quite a bit on this site how much I absolutely adore (and NEED) pancakes. It ranks high on my foodie obsession list, and will continue to occupy a spot until some other breakfast food totally blows my mind (hasn’t happened yet).
It all started with plain buttermilk pancakes. I adored them smothered in rich butter and pure maple syrup. No other flavors or renditions were necessary. Only as an adult did I start to try new takes on my favorite food pal, and I’m excited to say that I love ALL pancakes.
As I continue exploring every pancake that ever existed just to see if I can find one better, I keep making tons of renditions like THIS one or even THIS one but now I have a new favorite: Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes.
I grew up on classic pineapple upside down cake. In my opinion, it is the perfect cake: warm, perfectly sweetened with fruit and syrupy caramelized flavor seeping into a moist skillet baked cake. Can cake really get any better? Nope, unless you turn this classic into a pineapple upside down pancakes recipe breakfast. I whipped up a simple brown sugar pancake batter using Safest Choice Eggs. This pancake recipe is perfectly delicious on its own if you are ever craving a stack but try it with the addition of a brown sugar sprinkled pineapple and cherry. You won’t think twice about making this time and time again.
So check out the recipe on Safest Choice Eggs website, and get cooking! Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day right?
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar, separated
- 2 large Safest Choice eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or refrigerated coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Extra butter for your griddle
- 1 (20 ounce) can of thin sliced pineapple (or if fresh, use one medium sized pineapple that has been peeled, cut and cored into very very thin slices
- Optional: 8-10 maraschino cherries with stems removed
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and ¼ cup of brown sugar until well mixed.
- Next whisk in Safest Choice eggs, buttermilk (or coconut milk), melted butter, vanilla extract and cinnamon until batter just comes together. Leave the lumps there. No need for a smooth batter.
- Heat a griddle or non stick skillet over medium heat and melt extra butter.
- Once hot, add one pineapple ring to center of griddle or skillet. Sprinkle the top of pineapple with a little of remaining brown sugar and turn over after browned a bit.
- Optional: Add a cherry to the center of the pineapple ring.
- Pour about ¼ of a cup of batter over the pineapple allowing it to go outside of the ring. Cook until bubbles form and the bottom is more sturdy, golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully flip entire pancake over, including pineapple and cherry (use a large spatula since this process can be a bit more flimsy with the weight of the pineapple). Cook until golden brown and crisp on the other side.
- Remove the pancake and place in a warm oven pineapple side up (about 225 degrees) and repeat the process (starting with buttering the griddle) until all pancakes are done and serve.