This Homemade Peach Crumb Bars Recipe is always a hit. Wait until summer for fresh peaches or use frozen to get that wonderful peach flavor anytime of the year.
I’m in love again. To properly explain “again”, I should start by saying I have had a love affair with peach cobbler since I was a little girl starting with my big mama’s recipe. My allegiance to it is pure and simple and loyal to the core. During the summers, I usually never deviate from having my favorite dessert ever. That was until I created this homemade peach crumb bars recipe that are truly giving my favorite peach cobbler recipe a run for its money.
The truth is these bars don’t take much time to make, and that is probably why they are ranking so high on my “must make, must devour” meter right now. My beloved peach cobbler however takes a bit more time with the creation of the perfect pie crust and filling that needs to be cooked over the stove before it all heads into the oven.
Another thing I adore about these peach crumb bars is the ease of making them. They seriously cannot be any easier to bake. I shared a similar recipe for these bars during my demonstration at the Taste of Chicago this summer, and people thought they were oh so simple.
Lastly they are utterly delicious. The crumble is buttery and sweet and each bite results in a perfect crunch from the crumble. The peach filling also gives that perfect crumble a run.
With hints of cinnamon and nutmeg spices throughout, its simply fantastic in every single way. Does this mean I will be giving up my peach cobbler? Heck naw! But these peach crumb bars are quite a lovely replacement whenever I crave it.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 - 2½ cups fresh peach slices
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 8×8-inch baking pan with the non-stick coating of your choice.
- For the crumb and crust, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Next, cut in the cold butter using two forks or a pastry cutter then slowly mix in the egg yolk and cold water. Don't worry if the dough seems really crumbly. It should be!
- Next take half of the crumble mixture and press into the prepared pan. The rest should be saved for the top of the bars.
- Stir together peach slices, lemon juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until combined.
- To assemble, evenly add peach filling to top of crust.
- Next sprinkle the remaining crumble over the top of the peach filling.
- Bake for 30-38 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Cool bars to room temperature then cut and serve.