Forget the traditional turkey this Thanksgiving. Try my Coca-Cola glazed cornish hens instead! They are made in just one hour so you can spend more time with the ones you love.
Thanksgiving is almost here, and I cannot wait! Each year, my family heads down to Mississippi to hang with my grandparents, and the entire time couldn’t be more fun. When we arrive, I instantly feel so grateful for my family and the moments we share together.
Coca-Cola has always been central to my family celebrations and holidays. I can’t think of one where I didn’t have a cold glass to drink while enjoying the festivities. This Thanksgiving will be no exception. Not only will I have a cold glass to enjoy, I will be incorporating it into the main dish as well.
For years, my family has made a delectable fried turkey to serve as our Thanksgiving Day table centerpiece but I thought it might be great to spice things up and offer an individual option that also cuts down on the time it takes to make the turkey. That’s how these Coca-Cola Glazed Cornish Hens were born.
I love creating glazes with Coca-Cola. The flavor is impeccable and contains the right hint of sweetness that perfectly compliments this dish. The addition of orange juice, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar really heightened the flavor of the Coke as well. I also love how cute these hens are. Everyone will love having their own “mini turkey” just to themselves.
Plus this recipe is such a time saver over the extensive baking time of the traditional turkey. Within an hour, my cornish hens were roasted and ready to eat. Don’t forget: cutting down time in the kitchen means spending more time with the ones you love. And isn’t that what Thanksgiving is all about? Enjoy your holiday and celebrate the things you are truly thankful for this season.
If you want to enjoy more Coca-Cola ideas for Thanksgiving, make sure you check out their Pinterest page that is not only filled with delicious holiday recipes but fantastic crafts as well!
- 2 cornish hens
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (12 ounces) can Coca-Cola
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Sliced oranges and thyme for garnish
- Wild rice for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse each cornish hen in cold water and dry with paper towels.
- Add cornish hens to a skillet or deep pan for roasting.
- Sprinkle the skin of the hens with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- While hens roast, create the glaze. In a medium sized pan or pot, whisk together Coca-Cola, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and orange juice and bring to boil over high heat.
- Turn heat down to medium and continue to cook until glaze has reduced and is thick and sticky.
- Remove hens from oven and brush half of glaze equally over each hen.
- Bake for 10 minutes then repeat with remaining glaze on hens.
- Bake for 15 more minutes or until hens are completely cooked through. If you would like, turn the oven to broil to further brown the tops of the hens.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes then serve with wild rice and garnish plates with orange slices and thyme.
Disclosure: I am excited to announce I work with Coca-Cola however all opinions expressed here are my own.