Best Lemon Cake Recipe on the Internet! You will adore this Cream Cheese Lemon Pound Cake Recipe with a secret ingredient for years to come!
I have an affinity for all things lemony. This Lemon Cake Recipe is just one of them. My family has made all sorts of lemon cake recipes and even lemon pound cake recipes over the years. Big Mama makes fantastic lemon cakes. My aunts make great lemon cakes as well. Even my mother has a fave citrusy lemon and lime cake (her 7 up cake which is in my cookbook and a must try if you have it!). I have tried them all, and trust me when I say that its hard to figure out which one I love the best. It must be because at the end of the day, lemon rules in my book. If you put it in a cake, I will eat it. And not just eat it, devour it.
This lemon cake is probably one of the best I have developed. I think starting with a classic cream cheese pound cake recipe that I have been making for years put this recipe on the good foot. I have made this recipe so many times that I could possibly make it with my eyes closed. It is a tradition in my family to bring this cake whenever we have a get together. I thought the base of it would lend itself to a citrusy makeover.
So what were the changes I made you may be wondering? First I added in a secret yet fun ingredient which you won’t find in many lemon cakes: Instant Lemon Pudding. That’s right, lemon pudding. This ingredient adds two elements to this lemon cake recipe. One, it adds additional lemon flavor in a fun and exciting way. Each bite of this lemon pound cake recipe is bursting with lemon so you definitely won’t miss it. Trust when I say it makes this cake no ordinary lemon bundt cake. And two, it adds additional moistness to the finished cake. Think about how moist a pudding is. Now imagine that going into your cake. Each bite will melt in your mouth.
Finally, I added in some additional lemon zest. This is not a play around lemon cake recipe. It adds as much lemon as you can take, just enough to make you pucker then dance uncontrollably.
And P.S. If you need a lighter lemon cake recipe, try mine HERE.
If you want more pound cake recipes, click HERE
Here are some of the products I used for this cake:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package lemon instant pudding
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3½ teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1⅓ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Optional: lemon zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add room temperature cream cheese, butter and salt to large mixing bowl and begin creaming on high speed until smooth.
- Slowly add sugar and instant pudding to bowl and cream until light and fluffy which takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Lower speed of mixer to medium and add one egg at a time and mix until incorporated.
- Slow mixer to slowest speed and add flour one cup at a time into bowl until just incorporated.
- Do not overbeat at this point.
- Add lemon zest to bowl and mix.
- Once everything is incorporated, pour cake batter into greased and floured or baking sprayed 12 inch bundt or tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove cake and place on cooling rack for an hour or until it is completely cooled.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. If it is too runny, add a bit more sugar or if it is too thick, add a little bit more lemon juice. You want to consistency to coat the back of a spoon but slide off easily.
- Drizzle on top of cooled cake, sprinkle with lemon zest and serve.