A sensational homemade take on the classic Cheddar Bay Biscuits, these Garlic Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits from Melissa’s Southern Cookbook are a delight!
Whether you are a big Red Lobster fan or not, you know there is no denying the power of the cheddar bay biscuits. I would go solely for this waiting patiently for the basket of warm babies to arrive at my table.
The combination of garlic and cheddar in biscuits is just irresistible. For years, this recipe has floated online telling you to use Bisquick. I’m sure there are millions online for you to grab if you need them but this Garlic Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits recipe from Melissa Sperka’s new cookbook Melissa’s Southern Cookbook is the real deal in my opinion.
Melissa’s cookbook is just a delight. My southern roots recognized the homey recipes filled with love right away. This book will definitely become a staple in my home. Going through the book, I seriously wasn’t quite sure what I would make first but her Garlic Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits kept calling my name. I loved seeing a purely homemade version of this classic, and my warm memories of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits started flooding back right away.
This Garlic Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits recipe is a cinch to put together. The biscuit batter comes together in just a few minutes. I love recipes like that. And the biscuits are just so tender, soft and flaky in the center that they just melt in your mouth. I pulled one apart so you could see the melting cheese strings deep inside.
The flavor is just wonderful. My favorite part is the melted garlic and parsley butter that gets brushed over the tops. It just takes these to another level. Forget the original Cheddar Bay Biscuits! These Garlic Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits are the way to go my friends.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup salted cold butter, cubed, plus 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheedar cheese
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 10 inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, garlic powder, and onion powder. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut the cubed butter into the flour until it resembles cornmeal. Mix the cheddar cheese into the crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Mix the buttermilk into the dry ingredients gradually, using a fork. Mix until just fully moistened.
- Use a 4 ounce ice cream scoop to divide the dough, placing the biscuits side by side in the skillet.
- Mix together the melted butter, parsley, and garlic salt. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits, reserving some of the herbed butter for the tops at the end of baking.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden. Broil at the end of baking to brown the tops further, if desired.
- Brush with the reserved herbed butter and serve.