East Texas Fig Preserves submitted by Marilyn
Every summer, my Grandmother would fix Fresh Fig Preserves and I can still smell the sweetness. I was fortunate to be there on several occasions and was always gifted with a jar of the preserves. We live in the North now and the figs here are different than the ones my Grandmother grew in East Texas.
- 7 cups fresh whole figs
- 3 cups Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Wash and sterilize the canning jars and prepare the lids in hot water so
- they seal when placed on the jars.
- Cook the figs, sugar, and lemon juice in a large saucepan until the sugar is
- dissolved and the juice is as thick as desired.
- Pour the mixture into hot, sterilized canning jars, cap, and store in a cool place.