Strawberry Shortcake Funnel Cakes: Classic summer fair funnel cakes get a fun seasonal twist with a strawberry shortcake flavor! And watch the how to video!
I love funnel cakes. I seriously LOVE them. I have made quite a few on this site ranging from the classic fair variety to red velvet to even a chocolate and vanilla swirl version that I think is just plain genius! Because I adore funnel cakes, I can get through an entire year without sharing a new recipe for one. It is absolutely out of my control to do so.
Today, I’m giving my favorite classics an easy and fun summer strawberry shortcake twist. I made a fun how-to video with my parents! Yes I said it, my parents shot this video while I was at their house, and we had a blast. I think they are officially hired ha! After the shoot, I rewarded them with these beauties. They aren’t going to work for free right?
Funnel Cakes are perfect for playing around with. After I made these, I saw a new commercial for Dairy Queen promoting a new Funnel Cake A La Mode with strawberries. I knew clearly my idea was a genius one.
The funnel cake is the perfect vehicle for short cake. Usually you think traditional biscuits and even sponge cake for shortcake but this funnel cake version is my very favorite now.
I started with my original funnel cake recipe. It is perfectly easy and absolutely delicious. You probably could look in your kitchen right now and see that you have all of the ingredients on had to make them without running to the store. I love these babies. The dough is so tender and slightly sweet in the inside, and it fries up golden brown.
I originally didn’t think it was possible to make them better but I keep surprising myself each and every time I make a new funnel cake recipe. This is a great summer treat. You simply add your powdered sugar, vanilla ice cream (strawberry would be awesome for an extra punch of flavor too!), mascerated strawberries and some whipped cream. Summer has never looked so good y’all. Get ready to try these babies. And I think they would be super fun for summer entertaining too!
- 4 cups of vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla Ice Cream (or another flavor like strawberry)
- Mascerated Strawberries (2 cups sliced strawberries tossed with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar)
- Whipped Cream
- confectioner's sugar
- Heat oil in a pot to about 375 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl until combined.
- Next whisk in wet ingredients: milk, eggs and vanilla extract until the batter is nice and smooth.
- Add batter to a funnel, squeeze bottle or even a cake decorating piping bag with a round tip.
- Once oil is nice and hot, swirl batter in a spirally shape (have fun with this part) into the oil and fry. Turn over once the first side is nice and golden brown.
- Once both sides are golden brown, remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain. These babies fry fast!
- Immediately cover with powdered sugar, ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream and serve.