Perfect American Buttercream Recipe- Fluffy, light, sweet and whipped to serious perfection, this American buttercream recipe is the most amazing you will ever try!
I have tons of cupcake recipes on this blog so it was fitting that I started sharing some of my fave buttercream recipes as well.
This one is definitely a fave, and will become one of yours too. First of all, it couldn’t be easier to make. That’s what I truly love about American Buttercream. Butter and sugar get creamed to perfectly and are the base of something incredible. Because the butter is so crucial to the taste and success of this buttercream recipe, make sure you use a really high quality option. In fact, a European butter in this buttercream recipe is downright heavenly.
Next I add a bit of heavy cream. It creates this cross between frosting and whipped cream in the final flavor and texture. I simply adore it and I know you will too! Pair it with your fave cupcake recipes or cake recipes and see the difference.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Food coloring
- In your stand mixer, add butter and salt at medium low speed.
- Next turn the mixer down to low and slowly add confectioner’s sugar in small portions until all is added then turn the speed to medium high to combine.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix until nice and fluffy. Add in food coloring at this point if desired.
- Pipe buttercream on room temperature cupcakes and serve.