Bacon Cheddar Biscuits Recipe- Perfectly flaky, fluffy and filled with flavor, these biscuits will become your new favorite for breakfast and dinner alike.
My love affair with biscuits has been a long one. I would probably even consider it a marriage. We have been in this thang going steady for as long as I can remember.
Watching my big mama make biscuits over and over again was one of my favorite past times growing up. She literally made them every single day and just recently stopped making them for my big daddy’s breakfast at the age of 91. I can’t imagine making biscuits every single day for that many years but she did it without complaint and with every ounce of love she had.
I’m always drawn to trying new biscuit recipes for this very reason. I love being connected to my past memories in that way. This Bacon Cheddar Biscuits recipe with Green Onions drew me in from the very moment I saw them in the Brown Sugar Kitchen Cookbook.
Tanya Holland is the mastermind behind the famous Oakland eatery Brown Sugar Kitchen. You may have also recently seen her killing it on Top Chef. I still haven’t been there to eat, and cannot wait until I can try it when I finally visit! I hear it is absolute perfection.
If this bacon cheddar biscuits recipe are any indication of how amazing my visit will finally be, I can’t wait to get there! These biscuits are really incredible. So flaky, buttery, and fluffy just like biscuits should be. The process for rolling out the dough into separate rectangles and layering with the cheddar, bacon and onion combo was so unique and really made all the difference.
Give this Bacon Cheddar Biscuits recipe a try because they are sensational. Even if you don’t have the biscuit memories I have, it can definitely be time to create some of your own.
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 green onions, white parts only chopped
- Heavy cream for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and mix briefly on low speed just to combine. Add the chilled butter and continue mixing on low speed until the butter is cut into pea-sized pieces. Drizzle in the buttermilk and mix just until the dough forms a ball. Divide the dough into thirds.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheddar, bacon and green onions. On a lightly floured surface and with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out one piece of dough to an 11-by-8½ -in/28-by-21.5 cm rectangle and layer on top of the dough with the cheddar mixture. Sprinkle the second layer of dough with the remaining half of the cheddar mixture. Roll out the remaining piece of dough and layer it on top. Gently roll out the dough layers to make a 12-by-10-in/30.5-by-25-cm rectangle.
- Using a 2-in/3-cm biscuit cutter, stamp out 18 biscuits and put them on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops with cream. Bake until just starting to turn golden but before the bottoms begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve warm.
- (To make ahead, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day in a toaster oven).